I guess this could be a more general thread about tying stations.

Here's an idea I like a great deal, but I don't necessarily have the gear to
accomplish the task easily.

You start with a Matarelli or Matarelli-style whip finisher.  The flattened
wire end of the whip finisher handle is your target.  You file or grind that
to a scraper-shaped edge.  If you want to get fancy, you put a sharpened
notch in the center of the edge.

After you whip finish a head, you flip the whip finisher in your hand, and
use the handle-end cutter to trim off the thread.

This was featured in somebody's fly tying video, possibly on YouTube.  Maybe
someone knows who that was and can provide a link where he is shown cutting
the tying thread with this cutter built into a Matarelli whip finisher.

The information needed from you metalsmiths out there is – what tools do I
need to accomplish the task of putting the edge on the end of the handle?
 Anyone have a suggestion?  What's the least expensive combination that will
work?  What would the deluxe version look like?  Thanks.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon