They have infomercials now for do it yourself feather extensions that you
can easily remove. Feathers from just about any bird imaginable from what
they showed in the commercial. It pretty much depicted what I feared most,
that this fad wasn't just relegated to simply saddle hackle. Once demand
outstripped supply, they looked around to see what else was readily
available. I am seeing rooster capes, hen saddles, salt water capes and
saddles, lots of peacock and guinea. I am pessimistic that the dust will
settle soon if ever. And when it does, the suppliers wont want to sell it
for the prices we were accustomed to prior to the apocalypse.

I think fly tying has been turned on its head. The good news is this will
force us to start using less conventional materials more so than ever and I
suspect we will see a lot of new patterns in the coming decade as a result.

Scott