Jack,  I use Griffin feathers, but not a Griffin whip finisher...

  From: Jack Lehman
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:26 PM
  Subject: Re: WHip Finish - was Re: [VFB] Help needed. Fly-tying classes

  Been tying for 35 years and still haven't figured out how to use a Griffin
whip finisher.  Materelli for smaller flies and presentation finishes, hand
whip for larger flies.

  Jack
  Austin

  On 12/21/2011 2:21 PM, Jimmy D. Moore wrote:
    It's all related to finger size. Long slender fingers = easy by hand.  Fat
stubby fingers like
    mine = Tuff to whip finish by hand. Hate those Matarelli tools. Too much
slippage.

    JIMMY D

    Allan Fish wrote:

        I could never consistently get a good whip finish by hand, so I
definately enjoy that crutch :)
        <snip>

        Eric Worm

        Reed City, MI  49677

      Eric,

      It's a shame you're a 6 hour drive from here.  I'll be tying at a fly
show at the IN State Fairground on Jan. 7th.  I could have you doing a reliable
whip finish in 5 minutes.  Well, no more than 6 or 7, anyway.

      I will admit, however,  I STILL use the Matarelli tool on midges and
other small flies.  Just a matter of preference.

      But maybe it's just as well you live so far away.  Just think about it a
minute.  Having a Worm and a Fish together would definitely generate too many
snarky comments.  :-P

      Al
--
  Allan Fish
      Greenwood, IN

JIMMY D. MOORE, ARS WB5RHT,author Moon Holler Misfits
Fishing & Hunting Club, Member, TOWA, Past VP Guadalupe
River Trout Unlimited,   North Zone Fishing Editor Emeritus,
Texas Fish & Game Magazine, VFB & FFW Moderator, Scout
Exec. BSA, Retired, http://bigtroutman.tripod.com/index.html