I think I'll stick with SHHAN, at least that's readily available and thins with
acetone!

Wayneb

--- On Mon, 3/12/12, Scott Bearden <scott.bear...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Scott Bearden <scott.bear...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB]
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, March 12, 2012, 8:20 PM

Talk about your kitchen sink of chemicals! But that does sound like lacquer
based thinners, not varnish thinners. I am coming at this from someone who has
used varnishes for several years to finish bamboo rods. I even tried making my
own varnish from some 200 year old recipes. Keep in mind that different
countries and even different states ban certain substances, or at least certain
quantities of substances. If you bought a can of brand X five years ago, I can
almost guarantee that it isn't the same formula as today.

Now for furniture I use shellac or lacquer but not varnish. True varnish isn't
needed for the indoors and takes too long to cure. It was meant for ship
building and protecting wood from UV light as well as water. Shellac and
lacquer both look great, buff out to a better finish than varnish, cure much
faster but don't do anything to protect wood from the elements.

They really are different beasts and the best way to get to know what is in
your can is look at the MSDS. What's the harm in using lacquer thinner in
varnish? I suppose it depends on what you are doing. Trying to cement a head on
a personal fly, probably not much. Especially if you are likely to lose it to
the trees or have it wear out in a couple of seasons. Using it on a
presentation grade fly meant only for display could mean that in a few years
the varnish could discolor and flake off. Take your thumbnail to the head on
one of your older flies and see if it holds up.  Is it soft and gummy or flaky,
or is it hard as a rock just like the "hard as nails" slogan?

Personally I use lacquer from the hardware store for flies and save the varnish
for my rods. But most of the time I just make sure I use a good whip finish and
skip the head cement altogether. If you really want to pinch pennies, A.K. Best
suggests in one of his books getting a quart of lacquer from the hardware store
as well.

Scott