From: "Chuck Alexander" <chuckalexan...@centurylink.net>
To: "Cheaper Living" <cheaperliv...@yahoogroups.com>, "fly fishing for panfish"
<flyfishingandflytyingforpanf...@yahoogroups.com>, vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:40:15 PM
Subject: [VFB] Doc's visit today

Folks: I saw the ortho surgeon at 1pm. First off, I really liked the guy, and
he has a GRET bedside manner, which I have often found is half the battle. Had
a new MRI and X-Rays of my spine from top to bottom. He saw what my earlier
scans have said on my low back, which is mild to moderate bulging of three
lower back discs. But in my upper back, where the pain has been creeping up to
in the past few yrs, he saw a pretty good amt or arthritis. Bottom like is that
he THINKS the best option is NOT going to be surgery, but an Implanted Spinal
cord stimulator (see the video on the attached link below). But a few things
first. I signed a release for hi to get my last MRI from another city which was
about 3 yrs ago, and he’ll compare them, along with consulting with the only
Pain management doc in this area which does these implants. And, he said that
once they go over them, there is a Neuro doc that is in his same office bldg
that he works closely with that he’ll also consult before making the final
decision.
I gained a LOT of respect right off the bat because what do surgeons do?? They
make a vast bulk of their money by cutting, (which is one of the main reasons I
have put off seeing a surgeon till now) not by referring ppl to other docs.
BUT, he said he wasn’t ruling out surgery until he sees the old MRI’s talks to
the other docs etc ect, and see if they all agree on the stimulator (or even
other options that the pain doc or the neuro doc might recommend). So now it’s
like the military all over again which is “hurry up and wait”. Relief for me
can’t come fast enough, but these things, done right, do take time and I
understand that, but I se a light at the end of the tunnel. I only know of two
friends who have these implants, and both raved about how much they were/are
helped by them. If anybody here has one, and would like to tell me any
pros/cons, please email me OFF LIST at chuckalexan...@centurylink.net and I’d
sure appreciate any info.
He did say that last week’s episode of waking up, getting out of bed and
falling back into the bed after my whole right leg was “asleep” was very
common, just not very fun, and scary as I found out, and that for it to last
DAYS is not that uncommon as well as the area around one of the bulging dics
must have gotten inflamed while I slept, then turned to the pins and needles
then just plain old pain which is where the leg is now. Soooo. Hopefully I
won’t miss another season fishing this yr because of this ongoing problem.
Thanks, Chuck
http://www.spine-health.com/video/spinal-cord-stimulator-implant-video

to vfb-mail+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com .