"In a previous article on UV and walleyes, written when the UV lure phenomenon
was gaining steam, we reported that UV penetrated deeper than visible light.
While this is true in pure water,  we understand now that UV penetration in
natural waters is affected by dissolved organics and other facot5rs, and that
in many cases UV doesn't penetrate as deep as visible light, and may even be
attenuated at depth of just a few feet.  Again it depends on the optical
properties of the water in question.
We also wrote about some anglers who've reported greater success with UV lures
in murky water, or in low light conditions, situation we now know run counter
to the science says.  IN these  cases, perhaps, it was silhouette, working
depth, vibration, contras, or other specs of lure's oval presentation that made
it more effective in these conditions.  Or perhaps these lure contained glow
characteristics along with UV properties."
Dr. Rob Neumann      Vol 40 No 7  "In-Fisherman"
Rick