I guess whether it's an eye witness account (clouded by selective
memory, peception, etc.) or a video account (clouded by selective
editing, perhaps digital alteration, etc.) there is always the hazy
area between what is right and true and what really happened.
Two people may see the same scene in the street and have entirely
different accounts of what happened--probably because our thoughts and
opinions do cloud the natural raw reality of what happens. And also,
as you say, we can't know the whole story. We might see a video of
someone being tortured, and not know that the person doing the beating
has just seen their family killed by that person, etc. Then again,
according to the law in the U.S. only the government is allowed to get
an eye for an eye.
Video and film does not replace or recreate reality. In fact, any
event that is captured with the knowledge of the people on camera that
they are being filmed is bound to have some (if even the slightest)
degree of altered reality. Something changes.
Statistically speaking are we more likely to get a jury to agree on
the facts of a case if there is video or not? I guess if I were being
subdued by 4 large cops with sticks and guns I'd probably rather have
it happen on camera than not, no matter what that statistic is.

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:54:15 +0200, Clark ov Saturn
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if crime drops at all as a result of more and more people
> > having cameras (especially video) on their phones, etc. Remembering
> > incidents like the old Rodney King police brutality issue (among
> > others) that were captured on videotape, one would think that more and
> > more crimes would be captured live and could be easily distributed
> > worldwide to (hopefully) bring justice (except in cases where the
> > perpetrators have enough money to afford their crime).
>
> You have to remember the other side of the story. Video is *the* most
> deceptive and seductive type of media. Editing out the 25 minutes of
> random druggie pushing a cop and only showing the 10 seconds where
the cop
> has to use his baton doesn't help bring justice.
>
> - Andreas
> --
> <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

Individual Fireant