Hi Steve,
Have you had the product in your possession for months so you could
report on it beyond the press releases and the misleading FAQ pages?

I have had all three in my possession since about March. And I have
been using them on a daily basis. I know from what I speak.

Not to be snotty or anything but I know what these boxes can and
can't do. ElGato even told me flat out directly after I discovered
this that the eyeHome product is only built to deal with analog
source recordings and not the digital source recordings. eyeHome
(USA) only deals with SD recordings from ANALOG signals recorded on
the eyeTV 200 ANALOG tuner-recorder NOT from the SD and HDTV Digital
eyeTV 500 tuner-recorder. But I could not even get it to properly
serve my iTunes playlists. I am CERTAIN this product is not worth
being treated like something you should buy.

It is FROM ANALOG ONLY SOURCES recorded digitally and also can do
analog to DV transcodings with the analog input set it has on it's
side. You can run both the eyeTV 200 and the eyeTV 500 simultaneously
and record from both analog and digital broadcast signals. They did
not know that by the way.

But the eyeHome does not support any of the digital broadcast
recordings which include SD digital broadcasts. That FAQ is talking
about interpolating SD recordings - not displaying native HDTV
recordings. It is a TRICK answer that misleads the reader.

Who here wants to record analog broadcast signals when digital SD and
HD is already in the air?

On the other hand I can HIGHLY recommend the eyeTV 500 digital-
receiver recorder for Macintosh 500 MHz G4 and above. A dual
processor PowerMac G5 is preferable. I started with a Dual 2 G5 and
bought a Dual 2.5 G5 after experiencing upper limits of the slower
one with the eyeTV 500 right away-particularly running both the
analog eyeTV 200 and eyeTV 500 at once.

--
Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Webcaster, Futurecaster

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:

> To clarify, its not 'analog only', it just doesnt do HDTV. You can get
> digital TV that is Standard Definition, so it will work with some
> digital TV footage.

NO IT WILL NOT. It let's you transcode Analog video to DV. Sure it
does that. But eyeTV Home can only display digital recordings of
Analog off air or cable signals. And it's ability to play iTunes
Playlists was not true for me. A very crude attempt at a home
entertainment hub that DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED.