On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:38:22 +0200, Josh Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> some of the conventions of "old media" work really well for new
> media...making something new is just a matter of augmenting what we
> already
> know...we need a place to move from to get where we want to go...

Exactly. Of course conventions from tv (or video) is a part of
videoblogging. It's 50% of it. The videoblog is part blog, part video.
When I yell up it's because I don't like seeing 100% video - when you've
got all video, no blog there's no new media.

You can create that if you like, but don't pretend that you're making new
media and don't pretend that what you're making is particulary suited for
the web. Just as text written for the web is not particulary suited for a
book.

What irked me with Jay's video was that videoblogs (an online media) was
transformed into tv (offline media) and then put back online. I didn't
(and still don't) understand why that's a good idea.

Anyway, when doing videoblogging the biggest challenge is to figure out
what parts of old media to use and what parts not to use (And then how to
fuse these with blogging). In my opinion not very many want to think about
that, and a potential is lost there. We've all figured out that a credits
roll isn't working in videoblogs, but beyond that...

We're back to the old definition discussion here. "I don't want to define
videoblogging because it limits my creativity". No, because you don't want
to think about videoblogging as something different you are doomed to
always create the same old media. By setting up boundaries and saying
'this is videoblogging, this is short films, this is tv' you are forced to
think in news ways to utilize your creativity.

We had some good talks (albeit short) in previous videoconferences about
these things. About choosing perspective and realizing that you're not
creating tv-programs, but shorter serials (because they work in a web that
is made up of small pieces, loosely joined). I've been gushing about the
Haberek series from Human-Dog in every other videconference for the past
two weeks, and I don't mind gushing a bit more because I think it's one of
the best examples of a work that could have been edited into a tv-program,
but was made for web instead.

If you haven't already you can watch the Haberek at <URL:
http://www.human-dog.com/lab/?cat=7 >

The Haberek could've been made into one big story - a 30 minute
documentary about this teacher and his life at the school. Now Showing on
PBS and all that. But it's not. Chris Weagel made the big story about
Haberek into seven independent stories. These work great in the videoblog.
You have the serial nature of blogs where the "big story of the videoblog"
is unfolded as new entries are added, but at the same time each blog entry
holds its own story.

While subscribers will most likely see the entries in order (unless they
choose to skip some) people can also view each entry as its own story.
Conversation is spawned around each of the seven entries, because they are
their own. I can create a blog entry of my own and link directly to the
story I want to talk about. If I only want to make some kind of humerous
comment on how the teachers hand toilet paper down the stall so the
smoking students can't see them I can do that: <URL:
http://www.human-dog.com/lab/?p=186 >

Another example that works well is Josh Leo's and Bre Pettis' Speed-Vlog
Showdown where each participant's individual videos had their own entries.
It begins at <URL: http://wearethemedia.com/2005/09/17/245/ >. In the
other camp I feel Josh's Video Block <URL:
http://joshleo.blogspot.com/2005/09/video-block.html > would've worked
much better as three seperate entries.

These stories are not filmed and edited like tv.

- Andreas
--
<URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>