I tried to buy an 20 gig iPod as a gift last week. Couldn't get one.
No store here can get the current model of iPods from Apple. All orders are
pending and there is no word on when they will be available again (across
numerous stores).
To me it feels like the 'something else' is an iPod of one form or another.
No store has any information but they agreed that something was probably
pending as it was an unusual situation.

Apple will want to launch video on demand, a video server or a video capable
airport express video, and ipod video 'portability' in the same breath...
Steve said no-one wants to watch video on their iPOD....but s-vhs out
defeats that.....

I guess will soon see.