As I said previously, yes it supports many other mpeg4 and h264 files,
you do have much more choice than just the default ipod export option
in quicktime 7.0.3.

However it does not play absolutely all other flavours of h264 and
mpeg4, theres several ways to make a file that wont work. Theres
plenty of ways to make files that do work.

And yeah all the bitrates mentioned are the devices maximum, nothing
to stop you using much lower bitrates.

I am indeed hoping that most of my technical waffle about ipod video
over the last 24 hours or so, will not be needed. I want it to be
simple. Most peoples mpeg4 stuff should be compatible, but unless we
find someone whose got their hands on an actual new ipod and can test,
I couldnt bet my life on it.

Steve of Elbows