Frank,
Thanks for taking the time to make those wmv files.

On Oct 24, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Frank Carver wrote:

> To that end I have re-encoded your source AVI at 256kbps and 384kbps
> (more common WMV bitrates) for comparison. To me there seems little by
> way of difference in quality between these and your much larger files,
> but I'm certainly not a video quality expert.
>
> http://www.makevideo.org.uk/direct/source-256.wmv (552KB)
> http://www.makevideo.org.uk/direct/source-384.wmv (775KB)

The point of this discussion, for me,  was to point out what I feel
is an often repeated and unfair criticism of QuickTime, by Windows
users.  Namely, "you can't make QuickTime clips as small as Windows
Media."  As you can see from these comparison clips, you certainly
can.  Now, what about the quality.  Well, I think the H.264 clips are
slightly better and the 3ivx and WMV are pretty darn close.  Again, I
think most casual observers won't even be able to tell the difference
at all.  That's really no surprise as they're all a version of mpeg4
compression.

--
Verdi