Jake Ludington wrote:

> In the context of companies who use video blogging to further their cause
> without giving anything back to the video blogging community; Microsoft
> already does that with Channel 9. The upside of Channel 9 to Microsoft the
> corporate entity is creating a warm fuzzy feeling about Microsoft, which
> doesn't offer definable monetary value, but is worth money.
>
> Channel 9, as one of the most highly visible video blogging efforts, doesn't
> point to a single place in the Microsoft or MSDN.com worlds where they show
> you how to create your own Channel 9. It's almost impossible to find out any
> information directly related to video blogging using IIS, ASP, MSSQL, etc.
> even though it would be beneficial to Microsoft to provide this information,
> considering Channel 9 is powered entirely by MS technologies. Most of the
> solutions for creating video blogs are associated with using QuickTime in
> some way (yes, I know about the screencasts on using Windows Movie Maker).

Ah yes, Microsoft... A perfect example. The folks at Channel 9 make a
big deal about how they're just a few guys with cheap video cameras.
Their goal of creating a warm fuzzy feeling about Microsoft is great,
I'm sure some people even buy into it, but it would be cool to see them
promote videoblogging as something any Windows user can do, and provide
all the information that Freevlog does, aimed towards Windows users. I'd
consider that giving back to the community.

> This may seem trivial to a group made up primarily of Mac users and Linux
> hosting accounts, but the reality is many of the companies who will do video
> blogging long term use Microsoft server products. These people will use only
> small bits of any community effort here because their needs aren't addressed
> by this group.

Companies still use servers running Windows!? ;)

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...