Because it works, works fast, and users are generally willing to
sacrifice quality and freedom for "just working"... look at the threads
over the past months about ourmedia/archive crapping out, average
ADHD-level user just isn't going accept that as a solution. They also
remove the "what version of plugin XYZ am I running" headache, which for
people who actually follow these things and care isn't an issue, but I'm
not going to (and can't) assume my mom has QT7 installed, and tell her
"well just go get it".. that's NOT a good user experience, IMO.

That being said, users DO need to be educated about aggregation, but
that's a battle that's *still* being fought on the text-blog level.
Waiting 5 minutes for a 2 minute clip is an excrutiating experience for
an average user, and one that needs to be rectified.

--
Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
51 W. Third Street, #301
Tempe, AZ 85281