Hi all,

I'm trying to digitize audio off of a microcassette cassette recorder
onto a Powerbook G4 using Audacity.

Should be simple as hell, right? Well, I've spent the past 6 hours
trying to do this, and I'm totally frustrated. Google also proved
useless. So I'm turning to the wise minds in this group.

I would have expected several options in Audacity Preferences to
select from. But there's only one:
Audacity Preferences
Audio I|O
Recording
Device: Built-in Audio

This lets me record live sounds, but nothing else.

I have a 1/8" jack running from the recorder's "Ear" (headphone) jack
to the G4's headphone jack.

So: how do I record sound off an attached device?

I had the same problem last year, and an Audacity rep wrote back:

>This is a limitation of the mac audio controls - there isn't a way to
choose inputs from within an application. You will need to use Apple's
Sound and Midi Setup utility to choose the Line input as the system
default.

>You may also have to select the correct audio device on the Audio I/O
tab of the preferences.

Well, I don't even see a Sound and Midi Setup utility in Tiger, and
the Midi Setup utility offers no choice of a Line input.

Arrrgh! Thanks for any help! I need to do this on Sunday.

jd lasica

http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM