Sunday, December 4, 2005, 2:47:21 PM, Nerissa (TheVideoQueen) wrote:
>   Why the "LET PEOPLE PICK A CATEGORY" argument will fail:
>   Not everyone will tag their videos correctly ...
>   And what about the ambiguous videos? ...

Definately.

>   POSSIBLE SOLUTION #1:
>   Let your community regulate itself and ban members for
> misbehaving. Use the Craigslist.org model. Allow your visitors to
> "flag" the posts.

This solution will work, but only in the way that it will

>   POSSIBLE SOLUTION #2:
>   Restrict adult category to a separate category requiring
> different service agreements and viewership agreements.

What worries me about both these approaches is that (despite your
mention of "ambiguous videos" above) they both assume that (a) the
only thing people are concerned with is "porn", and (b) that somehow
there is an objective definition of what "porn" is.

Neither of these assumptions really hold up in the wider context of
a global internet and varying world cultures.

Not that you are the only one to fall foul of this misunderstanding -
the much-lauded Yahoo mediaRSS specification embodies the same naive
assumptions.

May I propose a POSSIBLE SOLUTION #3:

STEP 1: informative (rather than evaluative) tagging.

Tagging is growing in popularity enormously - everywhere I look on the
web these days I tagging systems. This is enormously useful and
valuable. However, there is an (IMHO) unfortunatel trend toward
"evaluative" rather than "informative" tagging.

Evaluative tagging is the kind used by the "watchthis" tag on
deli.icio.us, for example. I subscribe to this tag feed, and have seen
plenty of things on it that I would not have tagged in that way.

Informative tagging on the other hand is the kind that helps a
potential audience understand the nature of the content before being
exposed to it. Tagging a piece with a location, author, participants,
length, format, etc. are a common form of informative tagging, but so
would "contains" tags such as "nudity" "sexual violence" "Christian
evangelism", "capitalism", "swearing", "flag burning".

The advantage of informative tagging is that it allows each viewer to
construct his or her own filters appropriate to his or her own culture
and views. This avoids the problem of global definitions and allows
people to potentially reject anything they don't want to see, be it
porn, advertisments, George Bush, or whatever.

STEP 2: trust relationships in tagging.

Current tagging systems are essentially anonymous and untrusted. The
value they have is based generally on weight of numbers. The more
people who tag a particular item with a particular tag, the more
likely it is assumed to be valid.

It might be better (particularly for items with relatively few tags or
taggers) if somehow the potential viewer could assign trust levels to
particular taggers. If (for example) I really trust Jay Dedman's
taste, then I can give his tags more weight than someone I have never
encountered.

This becomes particularly important when tagging is used to filter out
unwanted material.

STEP 3: a quarantine process.

The problem with tagging as a filter mechanism is that (at present)
it's only realistically possible to filter for "positives". I can
already ask several services to give me a feed of all items tagged
with "java" AND "software" AND "development", for example, but asking
for all items NOT tagged with "Microsoft" is crazy talk.

The main problem is that there is always a delay between an item
appearing and it accumulating enough tags to be useful. Current
systems add new items to a feed or category only when an appropriate
tag is applied, but an "exclusive" feed that worked in the same way
would never add any items.

A quarantine process would certainly slow down the immediacy of items
appearing in categories and feeds, but could provide a better quality
of exclusion. If newly released or discovered items are somehow
"quarantined" by filter software until they have accumulated a certain
"weight" of tags, then it makes much more sense to consider the idea
of selecting all items without certain tags.

I'm assuming that this sort of quarantine would be a user option on
directory and feed browsing software, to allow users to adjust their
own criteria and delays.

Comments?

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk