Bill is right that m4v is just a silly extension invented by apple,
and the files are just the same as .mp4's.

However you should not rename .mp4's and .m4v's to .mov. And you
should not rename .mov files to .mp4 or m4v.

You can rename .m4v files to .mp4, and .mp4 files to .m4v, because
they are the same thing, the structure of the files is the same.

As for encoding speeds, h264 is certainly more demanding than older
mpeg4. THere can be quite a difference between the speeds of different
encoders though, and quite a difference between PC and Mac ncoding times.

Encoders that are using ffmpeg/x264 to do the h264 encoding should be
fster than quicktime encoding, but its still pretty slow when Ive
tried things like iSquint or ffmpegx on the mac.

On Windows, Nero Recode seems much faster. It comes with Nero CD
writing software bundle, or is available seperately as 'nero digital'.
I believe a trial version is available. It can do older mpeg4 as well
as h264. The problem right now is that Im not sure how to set it so
that it creates ipod-compatible baseline h264. It might be possible
and I just havent tried the right settings yet, or may have to wait
for a newer version which would hopefully have an ipod profile option
to make this easy.

The resolution of your source footage, and whether you are doing 1
pass or 2 pass encoding will also affect encoding times.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows
So if you use that extension you could really be causing

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM