>First of all, although Jakob Nielson has done a lot to promote
>usability, his claims have always been suspect with me. In fact,
>when I saw this Alert Box referred to in this thread I thought about
>posting it to the list too, but then figured that, based on what I
>know about Jakob Nielson's work, I figured that people may take it
>too seriously.

Richard, I think that's a touch unfair to Nielsen (not NielsOn). I'm
not familiar with which particular "research" you're quoting, but he
and his people do do a lot of extensive research for which he charges
$$$ for people to buy.

The only time you'll see the more extensive research in his public or
free newsletters or web site, is when the research is old, or he's
claiming an opinion (as you say) which is actually based upon the
research. In the latter case he won't quote the research, because he
charges for it, so it looks like he's just making it up.

I know for a while there people in the usability world were split
between being with Nielsen or against him, but I've been out of it
for a few years now, so I don't know if that has changed.

What I do know is that a lot of his more extensive research is
extremely valuable and useful, particularly for the web, and if some
people think that he's wrong, then at least its making people
consider his opinion, which as you quite rightly said, is good for
usability in general. :-)

I'm known as a bit of a UI nazi, so I'm probably as passionate about
it as you are. At least we all agree that usabililty is important.

Regards,
  Richard

--
Vlog: http://www.kashum.com