I made the $14 one from those same directions. I encountered two real problems.

1. As Adam said, it is hard to drill the holes dead-center unless you have a
vice. In fact, I would recommend a drill press as well. The casting lines in the
end caps threw off my drilling accuracy.

2. The guy at Home Depot thought I was making a bomb and freaked out a little
when I asked him which type of bit I would need to drill through a steel pipe
cap. I reassured him by saying that these are small pipes and certainly couldn't
blow anything up. Of course, that's not true but I didn't end up in Guantanamo
or anything, thank goodness.

It's a little unwieldy but it's great for movement shots. If you want to steady
a shaky hand for a still shot, it's not as good.

Have fun and don't go buying a bunch of explosives or other nitrogen-rich stuff
when you buy the parts for your steady cam thing.

Cheers,
Carl
http://carlweaver.blogspot.com
http://worcesterdiaries.blogspot.com