Digital wrote:
> When I host my media I check my stats program (webalizer) to see
> number of requests for the file and the total KB downloaded. Using
> these numbers can tell me a few things (number of reqests, avg view %).
>
> What happens when I have it hosted on a third party, or perhaps
> multiple formats to download?
>
> I guess my question to all you stat geeks is how do you do get, what
> you consider, very accurate counts on viewership?

I've given up on accurate, like most of the web geeks... What I do is
the following. Instead of using a url like this:

  http://www.archive.org/download/foo/foo.mov

I use this for the link in the weblog post:

  http://foo.com/hit.cgi/http://www.archive.org/download/foo/foo.mov

And this in my feed for the enclosure url:

  http://foo.com/enclose.cgi/http://www.archive.org/download/foo/foo.mov

What the hit.cgi and enclose.cgi do is use a 302 Found header to
redirect the client to the actual file, which gets logged on my server.
This allows my stats programs to get some data on downloads/views.

It's not perfect, but stats never are... It is interesting on occasion.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...