On 8 Feb 2006, at 01:18, Ryan Ozawa wrote:

> Just as podcasters get grief for trying to "re-do radio," I think
> a lot of videobloggers/video podcasters are being pigeonholed as
> trying to "re-do TV."

I agree - well put, Ryan!

> One one hand, those paradigms have merit, and definitely help folks
> new to podcasting/videoblogging get a handle on what we're doing.  But
> I definitely don't think we're specifically trying to do the same old
> thing -- many of us just start with the conventions and formats
> because we're familiar with them, because some people expect them, and
> yes, some people like them.

Again, I agree - and this is why I've been arguing that video-blogging
aggregators ought to offer a number of different ways of approaching
the material. Content flagged through RSS seems so transient - there
is very little emphasis on what happens once the content drops off the
end of a feed. Archiving is one thing, but wouldn't it be great if we
could "re-run" the video-blog/podcast? Current thinking of the way RSS
aggregators work favours the kind of show that, ooh say, Rocketboom
produces - but is not necessarily appropriate for a multitude of other
types of content.

Christian
--
Christian Wach