Here's the scenario: I've finished shooting material for tomorrow's
vlog, but I haven't edited it.  It's dinner time.  It's so much
easier to let "American Idol" wash over me while I eat than to seek
out new material on the Internet because I'm not well set up for the
latter, while I've got a TV in my kitchen where I dine and I just
want to plotz and relax and not do anything for a few minutes.  Okay,
a few minutes turns into a few too many and then into a half-hour,
but I want to just sit and digest and drink my coffee before I get up
to edit and Idol will be over in fifteen minutes at this point which
serves as a sort of milepost that I can use to hoist myself back into
action at the computer for editing.  It doesn't matter that Idol is
in its 5th year and the format is stale and the forced relationships
between the superficial characters is hackneyed.  It's on when I sit
down and nothing else better is on and 4 of the women sing pretty
damn well anyway.  So what if Ryan Seacrest has the charm of an organ
grinder's monkey; it's on.  So I suffer a stultifying program that
anesthetizes me a little more every time I passively consume it and
diminishes my artistic and social vigor bit by bit.  I do this
because of conditioning, because I'm accustomed to it, because it's
easier than alternatives and because I'm not interested in watching
Internet footage of teenagers skateboarding.  I'm not interested in
watching adults skateboard either, by the way.  I don't find watching
skateboarding interesting.  And, anyway, I'm not well set up to watch
Internet video while I sit and eat.  So that's part of what anyone
producing video for the Ineternet (whether it's art, comedy, news,
etc), is fighting.  Meanwhile, check the time stamp on this post.  I
just finished writing tomorrow's show.  And the most viewed show on
Ifilm is of two adolescent girls kissing.  Well at least they're not
skateboarding while they kiss.

-David
A man alone.  Around the world.
The smallest boat.  A world record.

www.capatainhumphreys.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Enric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, robert a/k/a r
> <robert.videoblogging@> wrote:
> >
> > I completely agree with Josh, re-posting the intellectual
property of
> > others is wrong.
> >

> It is.  But most of the postings are personal moments that mean
things
> to a those of similar interests.  Looking right now at lastest posts
> on YouTube I find:
>
> "The Worm" - a kid squirming like a worm in tha back of a
classroom.
> Hilarious to those who are friends and were there.
>
> "Summit View Documentary" a kid skateboarding with proprietary
music.
>  While the music shouldn't be used, it's a practice that's been
> happening in some popular videoblogs.
>
> "Love" two girls and a guy driving in a car, listening to music
while
> he holds the camera out in front of them from the back seat.
They're
> having fun and grooving.
>
> "iam only one" a rap music video.  It's roughly made, but could very
> likely be copyrighted material taken from an artist.
>
> "ii SED WAZZ GOOD" is two girls playing at hip hop recorded on
> probably a camera phone -- amateur and high spiritied.
>
> "Mammoth Feb 06" two skiers going down a slope.
>
> "Big 4" is a skateboarder going over some steps.
>
> "chueco vs cali el cuarto" is a soccer game that sounds like it's in
> Spanish language recorded off TV -- copyrighted material.
>
> "Me in Pump It Up Dancing, Tashannie - Don't Bother Me" is a kid
> recording himself playing a dance videogame with some speed and
precision.

> "sk8allDay" has titling, with music by Queen and the camera
following
> a skater try different challenges.  He describes what he's trying to
> do.  Slow motion is used to emphasize sections.  A crowd reacts as
he
> keeps trying and failing.  It ends with the camera coming up to the
> upside down skateboard on another failure which he picks up and goes
> to try again.
>
> Of the first ten videos, only one is clearly copyrighted with a
second
> one probable.  The rest are original, amateur works to share with
> friends and others with similar intrests.
>
>   -- Enric
>   -======-
>   http://www.cirne.com
>
> > BTW, wasn't this a great video moment?
> >
> > http://www.apollopony.net/2006/02/frank_zappa_on.html
> >

> > On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with this... yet I also think there are some cases where
> > > "bubbling up" is important.
> > >
> > > But you are correct that "bubbling up" doesn't satisfy the
needs of
> > > the individual and their immediate social circle. It doesn't
help
> > > people share their lives through video. I feel this aspect is
being
> > > lost.... we need more good examples. Maybe that has to do with
my own
> > > aesthetic concerns though. I feel like some of that spirit is
being
> > > lost amidst the wave of lipsyncing teens and plaigarized video.
> > >
> > > -Josh

YOU want
youtube/yahoo/aol/mtv..

It's