Brett Gaylor wrote:

Yes, but you can also throw away all of your copy-rights, but purposefully
place your work in the public domain ahead of time.

- Andreas

Andreas - in the US, copyright is automatic, even if you don't want it to be.  This was one of the primary motivators of the CC project.

you know, i've been wondering for some time now: how exactly does one officially place something in the public domain in the US?

in the old days (pre sonny bono, thank you very much), one actually had to copyright something or it would end up in the public domain eventually

today copyright is automatic and *virtually* perpetual

so, with the exception of most work created by the feds,  it seems that there is no longer a way to place something in the public domain other than to publicly declare it to be so (i.e., put an icon on it?).

does anyone know if this is so?  or is there a form in Washington, DC that the copyright holders have to file somewhere?

http://apperceptions.org
http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
http://node101.org
http://spinflow.org