I think it is complete b.s. that people can't legally remix the
culture around them without the kind of friction the current system
presents.
.
I encourage everyone to get political about this. We are an interest
group. I don't know if we should band together to create a lobby, or
support existing organizations like the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, but let's do our bit to influence the debate on this stuff.

If you haven't already, I recommend checking out "Free Culture" by
Laurence Lessig from your local library to get a snapshot of where the
legal system is today regarding I.P., how it got there,  and how it
could be changed for the better.

Then JD's book, "Darknet" gives a glimpse of what is actually
happening as people use technology to share and remix despite the
legal maneuvers of the big media lobbies. Also available from your
local library.

Time to change the system.

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Kinberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Paul,
>
> You're not a bad person and you're probably right that you will
likely never
> receive a take-down notice or any nasty notes from Lawyers. But, if
you ever
> wanted to do more with your work, you probably would have to clear the
> rights for the soundtracks. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but
that's
> the current status of things. I've worked in TV stations, and its very
> typical that we had to reject certain works that we would have loved
to pick
> up for distribution due to issues like this. There are whole industries
> built around the clearances of rights, and believe me they don't
take these
> things lightly.
>
> It may all be off the radar now and for a long time to come.
Obviously its
> impossible to track down everything that exists onine. But, if you're
> dealing with distributors who need to care about these things (and
someone's
> job is probably devoted to it), then it really does become an issue.
>
> -Josh
>

> On 3/18/06, Paul Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I think this comment is besides the point, I am not a broadcaster,
I don't
> > have a radio station, I am simply a man who makes videos as a
hobby and puts
> > the occasional mainstream track on my videos for all, well lets
face it a
> > selective audience of ten's around the world.   I don't advertise,
the free
> > video hosting sites don't really, I have had my videos on some
occasions put
> > on the Featured Video on Dailymotion, but doing this only
generates 1000
> > views, from this site.
> > I will stick with my original plan, I will keep the video on the free
> > video hosting sites until I am asked to take it down from a source of
> > copyright law, either the MPAA or the RIAA or the European or British
> > versions thereof.  Then and Only Then my argument will be resolved.
> >
> > I await with humor.
> >
> > Paul Knight
> >

> > On 18 Mar 2006, at 15:44, David Howell wrote:
> >
> >  If anyone thinks "oh they wont come after me", think again. My
> > internet radio station had a relatively small listener base. The
> > station didnt make any money at all. No advertising. No donations.
> > Nothing. The majority of the music played was indie music. On
> > occasion, a DJ would mix it up and throw in a more popular tune.
> >
> > First, the RIAA threatened me. Then, they came after me.
> >
> > The end result? I dont run an internet radio station anymore.
> >
> > David
> > http://www.davidhowellstudios.com
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@> wrote:
> > >
> > > "wow" is right (the last audible statement in the recording)
> > >
> > > <sarcasm>
> > > i love how MPAA's notion of "education" is taking the old "scared
> > > straight" approach
> > > </sarcasm>
> > >
> > > it appears that their idea of education is more like what most folks
> > > call a threat
> > >
> > > mainly they tell stories about the different ways they can litigate
> > your
> > > butt
> > >

> > > thanks for the url steve

March 13

America Inc

> > > --
> > >
> > > markus sandy
> > >
> > > http://apperceptions.org
> > > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com

> > on the web.
> >
> >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>