I was hoping someone might fast-track me to a site that has some good
tips/methods on cleaning up crappy audio?

We shot some footage on a fujifilm 2800 and some of the audio if
really awful.  Lots of hissing, and any of the audio from a subject
that was more than 3 feet aways is really low.  I can punch up the
gain on the segments where it is quiet, but the hissing is a pain.

I've tried Audacity's remove noise, but it's stripping out too much of
the good audio.

I was hoping there might be a good site for some basics of audio
fixing-upping, or something that someone might now about.

Thanks in advance.

--
~Devlon
http://loadedpun.com - blogs, vlogs and video goodness