Typically, security wants laptops pulled out to ride through the x-ray machine by themselves. All the other electronic equipment says in their bags.

I went through one time (post 9-11) with a set of mid-size speakers, a digital still camera, a dv video camera, and an external harddrive all piled in a stack in one bag. They just looked at it for a bit, and then moved on. I've never heard of the x-rays hurting any of the electronics involved, and never had any problems myself.

Last summer, I wanted to them to hand check 15 hours of mini-dv tape I'd shot and not have it go through x-ray (I mean 3 weeks and 6,000 miles of travel for those 15 tapes -- didn't want to be too careful...) but they wouldn't hear of it (in Central Europe), so the tapes went through. No problems. I'd actually forgotten about it until now.

So -- send it all through the machine.... I much prefer to carry-on all my equipment rather than check under the plane since luggage-lost / item-theft / getting-dropped-too-hard all worry me more than the x-ray machine. When I've got too much equipment to check it all, I take it in super-strong locked cases that could be dropped off the back of a truck and still cradle the equipment safely. Have you ever watched the way they luggage gets handled? Besides, these days much of the checked baggage is x-rayed too.

Have a great trip!!
jen

jenSimmons
http://www.jensimmons.com