On 4/8/06, hpbatman7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What I don't get and maybe someone can explain this to me in a simple
manner, (I am not a real tech guy, I know enough and am learning but
on a thread like this I realize how much I don't know.) I put my
videos out, what is to stop someone from putting my RSS feed into a
site without my knowledge and how does that site know it's not me?

Nothing is stopping this, and in many cases this would be a good thing.  Getting more exposure to your site, and your videos.

The key point is: is that site (which is collecting RSS feeds) just an index of feeds (and thus simply pointing to the creators work via the links within their feed) ... or a service like Veoh that downloads that content, alters it, and rehosts it, and possibly even (as Veoh has done) fail to even provide a link back to the origional artist ... thus inplying this content is somehow affiliated with the service.

Lots of great services do these things (hosting/transcoding/etc), but the key point in the Veoh debate is that the content producers are not the ones electing to have their work altered and rehosted.  Requests for this altered content never hit the producers servers so they never see the stats.  They have no way of knowing the altered content even exists ... and they have no attribution giving them credit at this new site (which is a very simple requirement of most of our cc licenses).

And again I think the real sticking point here is that this isn't a case like YouTube where the artists go to upload their content in order to get these services ... this is someone taking the content from the prodcuer without their knowledge, altering it, hosting it elsewhere, and displaying as part of a larger video site without so much as a link back.

What is to stop someone from uploading my video to "YouTube" and have
it link back to "their" site?

Nothing.  But at least in this case it's a user who's breaking the rules and not the service/site itself.

You can have all the "opt in" you want but by
putting our video out there we all take the risk of
someone "highjacking" our stuff........don't we?

Yup, no question.  If a rouge user of YouTube is uploading my video thats one thing ... but should we allow a commercial service be one of the active hijackers?  The commercial service itself should at least respect the copyright (even if some of its users fail to) ... especially since most of us have the license information embedded into the feed ... its all there.

I hear what you're saying though. I've been a long time advocate of the idea "If you have a feed, you're authroizing syndication .... wherever anyone wants to syndicate it."     However, those people syndicating it still need to abide by the copyrights that are attached to the content within the feed.

- Dave

--
http://www.DavidMeade.com
feed:  http://www.DavidMeade.com/feed