Actually I'm pretty sure that camera saves files in an MJPEG format.  They'd be AVI files, however not all software comes with MJPEG codecs.  Sony Vegas for example does not.

Movie Maker does however ... hmmm

Are trying to actually "open" the file, or are you importing the files into your collections?  In Movie maker you need to start a new project (rather than open the video you recorded) and then import the video you recorded into your collections bin.

- Dave

On 4/12/06, Andreas Haugstrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:11:01 +0200, haymorefamily
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am a vlogger newbie and I have read over (+ viewed) the fabulously put
> together tutorial,
> but can't get past the point where you compress the video clip, this is
> because I have made
> my videos on my digital camera (powershot sd100) in movie mode, and I
> can upload them
> to the computer just fine, it's just that when I try to open them in
> windows movie maker or
> avid free dv, it can't find the file.  I am guessing that this is
> because it does not have the
> correct file extension or something, it shows nothing in the folder, and
> I can't figure what
> the file extensions of my video's are.  Can anyone help me????

Hey Brandi,

Your camera most likely records video in Quicktime format. Before you can
open these files in Movie Maker you will need to convert them to a format
Movie Maker can open (AVI or WMV).
I have found that the open source program MP4Cam2AVI works best - mostly
because it is a) free and b) fast. :o)

You can download it at <URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/ >

- Andreas
--