Hi everyone,

Kevin Krutz posted a message on my blog last night. Since it was
published publicly, I thought I would share it here.

Original blog entry:
http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2006/04/the_death_of_a_video.html

Kevin's comments (and others as well):
http://www.haloscan.com/comments/acarvin/1382/

--------

hey, i got in late tonight and checked my email to find this fiasco
unfolded. I am extremely tired and can't respond to the bits of this
discussion i've read. i would like to say that this post was not meant
as a hoax--as to what it is now, i'm not so sure. It was meant as a
response to an argument i had with a fellow film student who attends
Columbia University. I argued, as i did in my final paper, that the new
logging medium--it's new for me--is an oppertunity to potentially
establish a new genre, the limits of film have been tested for over a
century but vlogging is new. i was impressed with the believability of
the vlogging medium, which was starkly different from what i've seen of
reality tv for the last few years. I argued that if the conventions of
vlogging could be manipulated then new artistic piece could be produced.
I posted this to illustrate that point. I never thought it would
generate such a debate because my audience has been about 20 people--all
close friends since it's conception in feb.. Regardless, i believe that
i will feel guilty for causing any strife--this was not meant for you.
I want to repond to any comments regarding this experiment, but i'm
tired and need to sleep. I would like to say right now that, as to the
excess of violence in my films and the films other my fellow students,
there has been violence in cinema since Edwin S. Porter's "The Great
Train Robbery" in 1903 and there will be violence in media as long as
there is media. I also would like to point out that David Lynch, when
asked about why he made EraserHead, said that it had a great deal to do
with the violence of Philadelphia. My point is that Phila. is a violent
place, that's the atmosphere that i live in, so some of that violence
comes through. I also read a comment from...i can't remeber...anyway, he
said that this piece was wrong because he "felt" a certain way and he
didn't sign up for that. For this response i have no sympathy. I didn't
sign up for the ideas i was exposed to when i started reading DeSade's
"Philosophy in the Bedroom" yet my twelve year old eyes scanned the
lines with horror and intrigue. I feel it's the same situation here. At
any moment i could have put the book down, but morbid curiousity forced
me onward. The people who were offended to reproach could have stopped
watching this video, about someone they didn't know, at any time. I
think this tendancy in humans to watch the "atrocious" (is that spelled
right?) is what fueled this, to an extent. It's probably the same reason
so many people watch those god awful reality shows. Anyway this was an
experiment and perhaps it didn't work in the way i intended it to work,
like i said, i'm tired. i would like to digest fully the comments made
and respond when i'm less fatigued (I hate that word). Please email me
with any comments.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
late
Kevin Krutz