Kevin tried to post emails to this list last night, but was having technical troubles. This is what he wrote...
(the final paper he refers to is posted at (or will be once it uploads):
http://teaching.jensimmons.com/videoblogging/spring06/research.htm
along with video of his presentation.)

"<x-tad-smaller> hey, i got in late tonight and checked my email to find this fiasco unfolded. I am extremely tired and can't respond to the bits of this discussion i've read. i would like to say that this post was not meant as a hoax--as to what it is now, i'm not so sure. It was meant as a response to an argument i had with a fellow film student who attends Columbia University. I argued, as i did in my final paper, that the new logging medium--it's new for me--is an opportunity to potentially establish a new genre, the limits of film have been tested for over a century but vlogging is new. i was impressed with the believability of the vlogging medium, which was starkly different from what i've seen of reality tv for the last few years. I argued that if the conventions of vlogging could be manipulated then new artistic piece could be produced. I posted this to illustrate that point. I never thought it would generate such a debate because my audience has been about 20 people--all close friends since it's conception in feb. Regardless, i believe that i will feel guilty for causing any strife--this was not meant for you.
I want to repond to any comments regarding this experiment, but i'm tired and need to sleep. I would like to say right now that, as to the excess of violence in my films and the films other my fellow students, there has been violence in cinema since Edwin S. Porter's "The Great Train Robbery" in 1903 and there will be violence in media as long as there is media. I also would like to point out that David Lynch, when asked about why he made EraserHead, said that it had a great deal to do with the violence of Philadelphia. My point is that Phila. is a violent place, that's the atmosphere that i live in, so some of that violence comes through. I also read a comment from...i can't remeber...anyway, he said that this piece was wrong because he "felt" a certain way and he didn't sign up for that. For this response i have no sympathy. I didn't sign up for the ideas i was exposed to when i started reading DeSade's "Philosophy in the Bedroom" yet my twelve year old eyes scanned the lines with horror and intrigue. I feel it's the same situation here. At any moment i could have put the book down, but morbid curiousity forced me onward. The people who were offended to reproach could have stopped watching this video, about someone they didn't know, at any time. I think this tendancy in humans to watch the "atrocious" (is that spelled right?) is what fueled this, to an extent. It's probably the same reason so many people watch those god awful reality shows. Anyway this was an experiment and perhaps it didn't work in the way i intended it to work, like i said, i'm tired. i would like to digest fully the comments made and respond when i'm less fatigued (I hate that word). Please email me with any comments.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
late"
-- Kevin Krutz

</x-tad-smaller>