--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 4/24/06, missbhavens1969 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I said real, not truthful, factual, or non-fiction, because I think
> something like Chasing Windmills, while explicitly fictional, hits at
> truths and is real in its way. Perhaps because it is honest about
> being fiction.

As I recall, there was some confusion about the ficticiousness (is that a word) of CW early
on because they mentioned that "we are not actors".

>My point was not that Kevin would have hesitated
> to do this because of a sense of community or sense of belonging
> (though given what Jen has said about how her students don't perceive
> their audience, perhaps he would have). My point is that he didn't
> have some lesson to learn by posting it, unless he has never ever been
> in an online community before-- these stupid hoaxes crop up
> frequently, in one place or another.

But this guy didn't approach this as a hoax to fool ANY community. I didn't see any
"PayPal" button for donations in his memory. It was an assigment. I don't think there is any
reason hor him to feel defensive or to feel that he should join this list and explain himself
in any way.

> Here's what Kevin has going for him in terms of this community:
> 1) He doesn't seem to have set out to deceive anyone except the
> hapless visitors to his vlog. He didn't promo the video here or hype
> his death movie.
> 2) Jen posted QUICKLY to dispel the idea of his death, so the
> speculation did not get out of hand.
> 3) We've all been young and foolish. Or old and foolish. In any case,
> should he decide to join this community, I doubt he's going to get
> cold-shouldered just because of this particular stunt (see item #1 for
> the main reason why).
> 4) His production values of his work are decent, and we can all
> appreciate well-edited videos.
> 5) A sizeable handful of people respect him more for this stupid prank
> because they think of it as "art," than they would have if he'd just
> posted a video showing his real life.

> --Stephanie

Again. "Stunt". "Prank." These lables are yours. His was probably more like "I want a decent
grade".

Bekah
--
http://missbhavens.blogspot.com