i like this line from the boingboing article you posted, casey:

The forest of hundreds of startups gets burned to the ground, and only a few old trees like Yahoo and Microsoft are left standing.

it's funny because i just received an alert in my mail that microsoft is in negotiations to buy a huge chuck of yahoo.