--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Stan Hirson,  Sarah Jones"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now I'm really curious... won't the Flash 8 player also handle Flash 7
> (MX) files?  Why would one need Flash 7 at all? Granted, the adoption
> of  Flash 8 has not been going all that smoothly, and now there's  a
> Flash 9 player mentioned by Adobe as coming out soon.  It's very
> confusing for me as I am putting out Flash 8 videos on my vlogs.

Yes, each version of the Flash player will playback movies that were
exported as previous versions.  Although, I'm not sure what you mean
when asking "why would one need Flash 7 at all".

It is much better to use an old version if you don't need the new
features.  For example, I export my Flash movies as version 6 since
I'm not using the new Actionscripting or v8 video features.

Here is the official Macromedia Flash penetration (from Dec 2005)...
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

Yet here is what I'm seeing from the VlogMap visitors...

82.6% = Flash 8
15.8% = Flash 7
01.6% = Other

-Matt