Great question Sull.

TV is to me = mass passivity, popularist culture, culture as a
popularity contest, pluralism, marginalization, hegemony, subversion,
monoculture, cultural imperialism, top down, fundamental lack of
capacity for the rich diversity of human experience... and therefore
commoditizing of culture.... nationalism, propaganda, orwelian, the
suppression of grassroots culture, the suppression of the individual
spirit, suppression of creativity, the power is in the hands of the
few, world wars, corporations, vertical markets, monopolies,
duopolies, economics of scale, manufactured pop / manufactured
culture, yellow journalism, bias is a false god, objectivity is a
lie, hierarchy, bureaucracy, vote with your dollars, vote every four
years, polls, mass markets, consumerism, pay as you go culture,
stagnation

Inversely the mediatized web = participation, diversity, folk, the
rebirth of community, bottom up, distributed culture, the reawakening
of localism, people, person to person, humanity, consensus,
collective intelligence, personal empowerment, vote through action,
the firm synthesis of conversation and action, innovation,
creativity, and to much more to list. I could really spend a book on
this.

The mediatized web does have it's negatives though also...
terrorism, guerilla warfare, spin, mob mentality, digital divide

Note these are my free associations and should understood in
comparison to the other above terms i associate with TV. For example
if TV = nationalism and world wars, then the mediatized web =
guerilla warfare and terrorism. Like I said these are free
associations, they're not about right or wrong, they're about the
medium is the message. Exploring broader relationships.

It is along these lines we can also analyze radio, the advent of the
printing press... and there are many similarities.

The reason why media is reflected broadly throughout world culture is
because the systems that bind us are the systems that define us. To
the degree which TV and now the internet is having on world culture
is to the degree it directs culture. TV and now the internet are not
just looking glasses, they actually change us, much like Einstein's
theory of relativity. In fact the web will change us even more so
than TV because there's a huge widespread call to participation and
activation... where as TV was a pacifier of the masses.

Of course I have an architectural bent. Everything is either
systematic or a process to me unless it's true art, true folk, and
comes truly from the heart of the individual. Otherwise it is a
commentary on the system, or a part of an ongoing cultural dialogue
through the systems that bind us. Fundamentally anything that is not
part of science, math or a true reflection of the inward journey is
hence shaped by the systems in which that dialogue happens. Wether it
be the cafe culture of Prague, or our beloved vlogosphere most art
and culture is tied to and at least in part reflective of the systems
which connect the participants.

This yahoo group has come to define us as have our vlogs. We're
global, diverse, personable, human, chaotic, creative, and productive
among many other things. Wether vlogging and this yahoo group made us
this way or wether it simply allowed us to regain a more human/humane
form is debatable, but it's true that to the degree which we
participate the very structure and properties of the media define us.
Symbiotic.

-Mike of mmeiser.com/blog