i think that the size of the viewership will be a big determinating factor in choosing one of these embedded player hosting sites to host video on...and i think that the size of the viewership is largely determined by the type of content permitted at the site.

i think that youtube is big because most of their viewership is there for porn/dancing girl and funny videos (bootlegged content or otherwise). people who want their videos viewed in the largest arena will choose a site like youtube to host it.

if yahoo has a policy that is as open as youtube, they will be able to compete. otherwise, they will never get the numbers that youtube generates. somehow, i'm not so sure that yahoo will be as open though. they have had run-ins in the past with chat.

i know that yahoo chat lost huge numbers when they clamped down on chat rooms and closed user rooms.

i'm sure there will be some that will prefer to be hosted by other sites but, unless yahoo opens up in terms of content, i dont' see a mass exodus. mind you, i saw that they are also going to be a directory for off-site content. if they don't censor that content, it might help boost the number of viewers. hard to say what impact that would have on those looking for hosting services.

as for spam...is it "spam" to put your vids up on all hosting services or is it spreading your content around? not sure about the use of the word spam in this context...

rss is definitely preferable to those who use it. unfortunately, the number of people using it is still quite low. i don't know if the majority of people watching online videos are concerned enough about it for rss formats to have an impact. i have three teenaged kids who are well aware of rss but opt for youtube instead. i have no idea why.

On 5/31/06, Joshua Kinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe "spam vloggers" will emerge and start posting the same video to
> all of the free services to gain maximum exposure?

I think this already exists.
Not sure if all of it is spam (some of it is), but I know people try
to "seed" videos in many of these clip sharing communities.

Ultimately, it will be your RSS feed that should syndicate your videos
into all these various services or personalized aggregators, etc... or
so i'd like to think.

-Josh

On 5/31/06, LeanBackVids.com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> An article was just posted on Wired.com about Yahoo Video and how they
> are going to start hosting user videos (aka "mimic YouTube").
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/wireservice/0,71043-0.html
>
> What will drive the average user to post their video to one service
> over the other?  I assume each will have very similar feature sets.
> If a user ultimately wants to embed the video somewhere else, will it
> even matter where they host?
>
> Maybe "spam vloggers" will emerge and start posting the same video to
> all of the free services to gain maximum exposure?
>
> --
> Matt
> http://www.vlogmap.org
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/vlogmap
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Everything you need is oneclick away. Make Yahoo! your home pagenow.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM