Yes, users control with sensible defaults sounds right. How about something
like this:

By default, the original file gets the prepend and append, and the flash
file too, and those are the versions you make publicly available. Include an
option to prepend-append to existing videos I uploaded earlier.

The original file stays available too (at .../original/...), and make that
available to the content creator, but not to the public, *unless* the
content creator checks the "for appended videos, make unappended unchanched
version available to public" checkbox.

At any time, the content creator can switch prerolls/postrolls and re-do the
append operations for 1 video or all videos. This way I can change my intro
and attach it to all future videos, or to *all* videos.

That'd be my personal preference.

Peter