--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "jonny goldstein"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Raymond, if you really want to do it for your ten best friends, then
> password protect it. But I get the feeling that you don't want to be
> that closed, that you value having people outside your immediate
> circle of close friends seeing your videos. Maybe certain, very
> personal videos you could individually password protect?

I think that's a good idea, having some videos that lurkers can check
out and other videos that you can place either in an entirely
different blog or individually protect like Jonny suggested.

> I, personally, feel comfortable with whoever is lurking out there
> watching my stuff, but I censor myself to maintain that comfort
> level.This is an interesting question. It's really a new thing to be
> able to put stuff out there for the whole world to see.I don't think
> there's any reason to let everyone in on your life if you dont want to.

You're the executive producer on your own videoblog/show.  It's not
like "The Real World", where you sign on for them to shoot anything
that happens to you, even in the bathroom, and then you get to watch
how they creatively edit it into a story that wasn't actually like
that IRL.  Like Jonny's saying, you have to consider the lurkers as
well as your friends if you're going to post something.  Again, you
can have multiple versions of the same video if you like, with the one
you wouldn't feel comfortable about being public being in a location
you make known to the people you want to see it.

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Philip Clark <yahoolist@> wrote:
> >
> > I don't care who's watching, but then again I'm a bit of a pervert.
> >
> > xo philip
> > --
> > http://swordfight.org
> > http://hotaction.ca
> > http://destroyhotaction.com
> >

> > On 11-Jan-07, at 9:56 PM, R. Kristiansen wrote:
> >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > Since I started videoblogging, I have had this mantra about
> > > focusing on "the
> > > audience of ten". To treat the audience of my videoblog as a
circle of
> > > friends. Friends I would want to show what's going on in my life
at
> > > the
> > > point. I have had this mantra because I, for instance, did not
want
> > > to get
> > > lost in some numbers-increasing schemes.

The infamous blog metrics addiction.....

> > > My question to you is: What amount of subscribers do you feel
> > > "comfortable"
> > > with?
> > >
> > > Of course, if you make a Show (insert sarcastic tone here), you
> > > only want
> > > more and more subscribers. But if you make a so-called personal
> > > videoblog,
> > > suddenly having 3000 subscribers might be a very scary thing.

I guess it depends on what you thought was going to happen when you
posted something.  If you shoot something on film and decide to
project it in your garage and invite 12 people that you know and like
to come over and watch it, you're going to have a problem when 300
people show up wanting to watch your very personal video.  OTOH, as we
found out with the MyHeavy situation, not only are lurkers going to
WATCH your videos, people that you're not even aware of are going to
PLAY your videos as if they're a part of their own site... potentially
surrounded by chicks in lingerie with angel wings and full-screen,
animated pre-roll advertisements! :D

Your "suscribers" are only the number of people that
_you_are_aware_of_ that are watching your videos.....

> > > Me, I know that the amount of people who have technically
> > > subscribed to my
> > > feed is about 120. I must admit that even that number makes me
feel
> > > the
> > > goosebumps sometimes. (Ok, I have a history of receiving nasty
emails
> > > referring to videos I made as well, so I guess my personal
paranoia is
> > > linked to that).
> > >
> > > If you are an individual who just make videos because you want to
> > > connect
> > > with others - do you sometimes feel that someone invide your
> > > privacy? If
> > > they leave nasty comments?
> > >
> > > Of course, many of the same issues dealing with text blogging or the
> > > internet itself applies to the videoblog. Things like: "If you
> > > don't want
> > > certain people to find it, don't put it out there". That's
simple. But
> > > still, we want to connect. Reach out.

There are varying degrees to wanting to connect and wanting to reach
out.  A lot of people just want to say whatever they want on the
internet and have ZERO discussion about it.  Their intention is to
state an opinion without fielding any feedback at all... or, perhaps
to filter all comments out except the ones that bolster their point
and make them look like they know what they're talking about.  There
are other people who actually believe in what they're saying and
utilize blogging or videoblogging as two-way communication, where they
aren't just talking AT the people that read/watch their blog, but are
trying to start a conversation where people actually learn something
about each other or themselves.  There are still others that don't
want to reach out at all. :D

I think this is where utilizing the censorship abilities of your blog
come in handy.  You have to choose... or, I should say, you GET to
choose who has access to making comments on your blog.  You could set
it up so that nobody can post a comment at all.  You can set it up so
that only people that register with a particular site (like blogger or
wordpress) and then "apply" to you to be able to make comments can do
so.  With the better programs, you can set them up to not accept
anonymous comments at all and to reject any post with a certain word
in it.  Basically, you can build your wall around yourself as high as
you want to.  The people that you intended to watch your videos won't
have a problem taking the 5 seconds that are necessary to become a
part of your site in a way that gets them past the restrictions.

> > > Am I nuts for feeling uncomfortable about the anonymous people
> > > lurking,
> > > watching my videos of ____________? Or does anyone else feel the
same?

> > > Does this sort of paranoia lead to many of us posting less
personal
> > > stuff
> > > and more often going for the more "safe" forms of videoblogging?S
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Raymond M. Kristiansen,
> > > Copenhagen
> > > http://www.dltq.org/v3
> > > http://www.textrecontext.com

It all depends on what you're saying.  "Public Speaking" is a major
hurdle for a lot of people.  In a one-on-one situation or in a small
group, they have a lot to say, but put them in front of a crowd or in
an auditorium and they shut up. :)  That has to be a consideration for
YOU when you create and post your videos.  Would you actually say this
if 120 people were surrounding you and listening?  Would you say it if
3,000 people were listening/watching you?

Look at the guy who got tasered out of the library.  Granted, he
didn't MAKE that video, but he starred in it.  I'm sure he didn't know
that someone was going to film it and then post it on the internet and
then it would get popular and then it would go on all kinds of viral
internet sites and global news television stations.  That's the chance
you take.  So... If public speaking or internet fame is an issue for
you, take Jonny's suggestion and find ways to have your personal
videos for your friends and your general videos to reach out to the
lurkers.  As far as people leaving you nasty comments, shut it down
with your blog's privacy capabilities.

--
Bill C.
http://ReelSolid.TV