As the diplomat Markus would say... "That statement has an aroma of
inaccuracy". :D

FCP Studio certainly runs on MacBooks.  The only potential issue is the
different video card
in the MacBook from the MacBook Pro.

FCP Studio is made up of modules, so each module does its own tests for
installation.  For
instance, if your video card isn't powerful enough to run "Motion", then the
option to
install Motion will be greyed out.  You'll still be able to install the rest of
the modules,
Final Cut Pro, LiveType, Soundtrack Pro, etc.

Aside from the video card, the other considerations are processor speed and
memory on
the board.  It takes a certain speed to be able to edit HD, for instance, if
that's the
intended application.  Also, you need to have more than the 512MB memory that
comes
standard with the lowest-priced MacBook.  Basically, a MacBook ordered
specifically to
handle the requirements of FCP Studio will run it fine.

Worst-case scenario, have your student buy an old MacBook and put FCP 3 or 4.5
on it.
The added functionality of Studio isn't necessarily useful to a novice.

--
Bill C.
http://ReelSolidTV