I just went by what I could skim from wikipedia (I know I shouldn't):

I checked the technical specification for my phone. It'll happily accept
video/mp4 (and WMV) and it even promises to play h.264 baseline profile. I
can't think of a single sane reason for not supporting .3g2 files - it's
just a container format after all. The only reason I can think of is the
fact that wikipedia hints at different container formats for different
network types (sounds crazy, but I've seen worse) and my phone doesn't do
CDMA (only GSM and UMTS).

- Andreas

--
Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen