What I did was to swing over to my subscription of Consumer Reports
and plugged in some of the models that have been recommended.

The Panasonic PV-300 has a "very good" score on the audio and has the
ability to connect and external mic. It doesn't say what type.

JVC Everio G Series GZ-MG505U also had a "very good score on the audio
and has an external mic port.  The advantage is that it is a hard
drive camcorder so you could record as long as the battery holds up.
My concern would be how easy would it be for you to convert the file
format for editing. I think the Rey Brothers have a HD-version and
they speak well of it.

I'll keep my eyes open. There was one site that had current camcorder
reviews. I went to camcorderinfo.com but parts of it haven't been
update for a while. There is one more site/blog that had the straight
skivvy on consumer and prosumer camcorders. I need to dig it out of my
bookmarks.

Oh, I just got the Sanyo Xacti C-40 for my day to day camcorder. I
love the little sucker. $200 at Radio Shack. (I know, it doesn't make
sense but they actually had it in stock at that price at my local
store.) You might be interested in some of the upper level C6 Xacti
line http://www.sanyodigital.com/video_cameras/index.html if you are
looking for an emergency or day to day camcorder.

My only problem was that my main editing program, Serif Movie Plus 5,
didn't recognize MP4 file so I had to convert it via QT Pro. But I am
definitely digging it.

Later,

Gena

http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com