I know what you mean, and its logical on one level. But on the
otherhand Im sure there is rather a lot of material that is
copyrighted, being distributed via RSS and other methods.

For example if I download a podcast from the BBC, its still
copyrighted by the BBC. They have chosen how the distribution
mechanism works, and that I am allowed to download it etc. But its
still copyrighted by them, if I tried to actually redistribute the
file by hosting it elsewhere, by playing it on another radio station
or selling it on CD, they could throw the book at me.

I think it boils down to longstanding arguments and confusions on the
internet about what 'distribution' and 'copying' really mean. The web
blurred the issue slightly, are we really saying that if someone
embeds a blip video on their site, they are rehosting and
redistributing it, when in fact the actual media is still on the
original server?

The way I see it, embedding, hotlinking etc content, is more akin to
'public performance' of a work, than redistributing it. But what I
think isnt at all the same as whats law, I dunno, it gets a bit messy.
What I am reasonably sure of is that choosing to distribute something
in a relatively open way, is not incompatible with attaching copyright
to your work. The BBC let me videotape stuff off the telly and
technically keep it for a fixed amount of time, and this doesnt harm
their ability to claim damages from people who abuse their copyright
on the same material, doesnt give me the right to sell that video etc.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Meiser"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: It's unproven in court so far as I
know... but yes...