On 2/13/07, Kent Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Right that's exactly the problem.
>
> We talk a lot about rights and such, but all of that is built on these
> crappy TOS agreements.  Even if you own your own site, you're still at
> the mercy of the ISPs up the chain of command.
>
> Your speech is only as free as it's convenient to corporate structure
> that hosts it.
>
> Web 1.0 was more about setting up a static site, staking your little
> claim on the net and building traffic, etc.
>
> Web 2.0 changes the equation because the people are the value.
> YouTube is based on a $20 shareware script, the value came from the
> people there.  Same with MySpace.
>
> But the legal structures and way of thinking have not caught up to
> this change.  There's a million little fiefdoms.  And your rights are
> different each site you go to.

I like that you use the word fiefdom.

I actually think we're in the digital dark age, just as Brewster
Mckale of archive.org said.

Litterally what's going on here is we have a huge open cyberspace with
not enough roads and some very scary space inbetween a bunch of closed
castles like youtube and 300 other social networking sites.

What we need is a tremendous amount of infrastructure to ensure
mobility, communication, and security for those that would stake out a
home and start a farm in open cyberspace.

In short the roads must come to your front door.

Meanwhile we have the high priests of the old media religion waging a
freaking crusade against new ideas and the new digital culture with
their damn witch hunts and inqusitions for anyone who dares share
their media online. P2P is the devil to modern day religion of media
oligopy.

Ramble, ramble.

BTW, We've been hitting these issues of interoperability pretty hard
lately on the mefeedia blog.

http://mefeedia.com/blog/

It really is your friends and your media, so why should it also be your network?

Who the f*ck needs youtube anyway?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog
mefeedia.com