>From that video you made, it looks like you're using a mono mic.  The
specs of the camera say that it has a stereo input.  If that's the
case, the number of rings on the end of your mic is going to be
different from the number of rings on the plug that goes into the
camera.  Basically, you want both to be the same, one way or the other.

Try going to Radio Shack and getting a really cheap (or actually,
maybe just asking them to use it to see if it works with your camera,
like Jan suggested) mixer that accepts mono inputs but outputs stereo.
 Plug the adapter plug all the way in and have that connect to the
stereo mixer and have that attach to your mic.  That solves two
problems. 1) Going from mono to stereo and 2) if it's still too loud,
you can use the mixer to lower the volume to an acceptable level.
This might not be practical "on the go", but if you're staying in one
place or using a tripod, this could work for you.  An added benefit of
using a mixer is that you would be able to plug in as many mics as the
mixer allows.  You could mic yoursef and someone else and have your
input go left and their input go right, so while you're taping, you
have two clean signals instead of having to pass a mic back and forth.
 Another application could be to have one side attached to a mic set
up to pick up natural sound from the background and the other side
pick up your mic.  That way, you could mix the sound however you want
when you get to editing.

My miniDV camera has a stereo input also.  The difference is that it
also has a headphone jack.  When I plug a mono mic into my camera, I
only hear the audio on one channel.  The other channel is just static,
because it's not receiving any input.  That doesn't matter, because
coming through a mono mic, I'm only going to receive a mono signal, so
I only need one channel to come through.  I can tell on the headphones
that I'm getting what I need, so it's a wrap.

They DO sell stereo mics, though, so either try your camera with the
adapter all the way in and connected to a stereo mic, or use a mixer
to convert the mono signal into a dual-mono signal that the camera can
pick up properly on both channels.

--
Bill C.
http://ReelSolid.TV