I applaud greentime and anything similar.

Computers, video cameras & the net are not particularily green or
sustainable.

So they are part fo the problem, but they have a place in helping
massively with sustainability etc, if they can be used to eliminate
even more wasteful uses of fossil fuels.

For example I expect downloading music or video instead of it being
manufactured onto cd or dvd and then shipped physically across the
world, and then me driving to a shop to buy it.

Likewise if you can use video on the internet as an alternative to
driving or flying to meet someone, computers & the net start to look
like they could be a good chunk of the solution.

The electrical energy use of your camera & computer arent very high
compared to a large television or heating or cooking or cooling with
electric, but if its on for a lot of hours per day and isnt set to go
into standby, or better yet switched off at the wall, it will add up
to a significant amount. The electrical useage of servers and other
net infrastructure certainly adds up, one day we may have to move away
from this model somewhat and have far more 'not always available' peer
to peer stuff with mesh networks.

I wills struggle to calculate the carbon footprint created by the
manufacture of computers etc, but I know it will be pretty bad. Just
looking at the chips, rather a lot of energy is used to get silicon
pure enough for the job. Lifetime of the devices is a real important
thing here, the cycles are much to short at the moment, I do not
expect the current pace of pseudochange can be maintained for the next
50 years.

I do not take it foregranted that humans will be capable of mass
manufacture of computers in a hundred years time, for all I know they
may just end up being a temporary tool to make the slide away from
globalisation and mass production more palatable.

I have a cheap device that sits between the socket and the device, and
measures how much energy is used. My backup plan for vlogweek in the
event of not coming up with anything else, is to do some video
involving this and a few other things Ive been mucking with in the
name of sustainability.

Returning briefly to how much power your own part of the setup, the
computer and camera, use, it is feasible to run a laptop off a fairly
small solar or wind setup. Theoretically, human pedal power could also
provide enough watts. As a laptop typically uses less than 100W, this
could be compared to one old type 100W lightbulb, so if you have old
wasteful bulbs in your house you could start by changing them to cover
the energy consumption of your computers. Solid state hard drives and
LED-backlit screen promise some further computer energy efficiency
gains in future but Im fairly sure all these things are wiped out by
the explosion in cheap large televisions, where the screen size makes
the energy use for lighting rather high.

My biggest fear is that as talk of green & sustainable issues reaches
fever pitch, there are going to be so mny things that sound good but
are actually bad. Many of the carbon offsetting programs are murky and
its hard to be sure how much genuine difference they are actually
making. Its no use getting a solar panel if the energy used to make it
is greater than all the energy the device will generate in a lifetime.
  And dont even get me started on biofuels.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>