Well I wasnt meaning to suggest that solar panels actually fail the
equation I gave them, jsut that we always need to probe a little
deeper to make sure the solutions arent more costly to the world than
the original problem.

Its a time when enthusiasm is needed to stir the masses into action,
and so some git like me pointing out that all that solar energy isnt
free, and it will take a certain number of years for the panel to pay
for itself in terms of carbon use, may be unwelcome. But on the
otherhand it may help those who are skeptical about the 100% happy joy
joy green hype & greenwashing that you point out is already here.

I was born in 1975 and the energy/environmental crisis is at least
that old. Its funny how much it was talked about back then, spurred on
by events such as arab oil embargo's, and how it is even reflected in
popular culture such as movies of the time like 'Soyent Green' (sp?)

Anyway as a kid I remember TV adverts telling me to switch the lights
off when I left the room, although this was more for energy
cost/shortage reasons than the planet melting. Then there was the
'ozone layer' stuff in the 80's which finally got sorted, but again
when I search the net it turns out people had identified the problem
decades earlier. But somewhere along the way, the green energy stuff
had a decade or so long rest, althoug other green issues such as
organic foods and pollution reduction continued. Now in the last few
years the energy part of things has reached feverpitch, and here in te
UK most of the media and politicians are going on about this stuff
nearly every day. Personally I dont disbelieve the climate change
science but suspect it is energy considerations which are driving the
current race towards sustainability.

As I mentioned before, carbon offsetting is one of the areas I suspect
is not helping as much as advertised, and is proving far too easy an
option for carbon offenders to use to clain that 'they are carbon
neutral' (Al Gore is a topical example). The other day a tabloid
newspaper in the UK went through the bins of the leader of the
opposition political party in thsi country, David Cameron, who talks
green a lot, and discovered some stuff that was recyclable being
thrown out with the trash. When politicians appear on TV show where
the audience ask questions, they are getting attacked for their own
lifestyles which inevitably involve a lot of flying. So far the media
are doing an OK job of pointing out hipocracy, another DDavid Cameron
incident involved the fact he was cycling to work, but then it turned
out some large car was driving behind him carring his paperwork. He
talked a lot about getting a wind turbine on his house, but so far as
I know it hasnt happened, partly because they figured it would be a
security risk, his house would be easy to identify.

Still its easier to spot this sort of thing with individuals more than
with companies, there are all sorts of ways of doing something green
whilst carrying on making things bad in other areas.

Business certainly uses a lot of energy, Ive found that any of my
basic energy saving at home tactics are dwarfed by just gong round
turning various things off at work before the weekend.

Disposal of computers and other electronic devices is another part of
the jigsaw. Again its not good, certainly in the EU manufacturers are
now being made responsible for the cost of disposal of the goods they
manufacture, once they reach end of life. This is in part due to
llimits & increased costs on landfill disposal. Recycling in general
is improving but I sometimes see disturbing pictures on the TV of
waste that has been sent from here to India or China, where poor
people melt it down and expose themselves to many harmful chemicals :(

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "J. Rhett Aultman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>