Right, and it was actually experimented with on vlogwall.com.  In another
recent thread I made mention of that too.
The idea of the vPiP approach and SMIL/RSS usage seemed perfect, at least
conceptually.  This was last Summer mind you.
So I made a gridwall of vPiP embeds of Video RSS Feeds (I just call them
vodcasts).  RSS feeds were transformed to SMIL.
I had added pre and post clips to demonstrate what could be ads, cc
licenses, branding bumps etc.
So an entire video feed could technically be played back right within the
embedded player and you could easily switch around to different
feeds by clicking the other vPiP images/embeds.

But, as mentioned before, Quicktime SMIL does tend to get overwhelmed and
can suffer buffering delays or hangups.  It worls better when every video is
optimized small clips and the user doesnt jump around the playlist to much.
So all in all, not ideal for the mass audience of net video, unfortunately.

It's all about Flash when it comes to web based playback and playlisting of
video.  It just works more smoothly than anything else and now that Flash
Video quality has improved so much in the past 12-18 months.... there is no
reason to take full advantage of the platform right now.

I also mentioned Jeroen's
Player<http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_Media_Player>
His is probably the basis several video services.
YouTube started off using it and I have been using it since he released the
first version long ago.
It's good stuff and he has been actively developing and fixing it over the
years.
I recently talked to Jeroen again about supporting SMIL extensively.
It's not a simple undertaking, but I think a SMIL smart Flash Wrapper is a
big deal and I am pushing for him to consider expending the time on
development of that (as well as myself and others).

Of course, you can do alot by way of custom namespaces in RSS or XSPF to
achieve all kinds of cool functionality.  But the idea of utilising a
standards compliant format and what I think is just an extremely cool XML
spec... SMIL could make a comeback in the web.  Its been around a long long
time and nobody really ever talks about it.  It is commonly used for mobile
phone networks however.  I just think it can be brought into the limelight
and be used creatively again and now with Flash as the wrapper instead of
Quicktime or Real.

Sull