Absolutely positively no fucking way would I air those videos. There
was no reason -- NONE -- none other than ratings and the thrill of
exclusivity for NBC to do so. Watching them gains us nothing. There is
nothing useful in them. The shooter is dead, and really, what else do
we need to know? It's beyond obvious he was mentally ill, do we need
to see video proof, too? Oh, wait. Yes we do. Because the American
television audience is as voyeuristic as they come. Forget that NBC
has played into the shooters hands. This is exactly what he wanted,
and he got it. He didn't mail the box to police, he mailed it to a
television station. Now every angry, dejected, hateful, sullen kid who
dreams of blowing away the school gets to see it, too. He wanted to be
a martyr and to a small dangerous set, he is.

Those tapes should have been held for a certain period of time, so
that authorities (whoever they are) could glean from them whatever
they needed, and then available to anyone closely related to the
tragedy should they wish to see them. Families, friends, counselors.

It wasn't wrong for NBC to edit those videos, it was wrong of them to
air to air them and to air them so quickly.

It speaks volumes that families booked on The Today Show have
cancelled their appearances because of the handling of the video. Now
NBC has backpedaled and say they're going to be more careful about the
remaining footage that they show. Too little too late.

I'm disgusted by what NBC has done, and I find the idea that "well, of
course NBC had to air the videos" repellent.

Bekah