Patrick,
Thanks for replying here.

The thing that I'm not happy with - and that Mike Meiser's not happy
with - and Verdi, and Jan, and, and, and... is your destruction of
content that has been crafted by many people with considerable care.
You haven't just marked it as 'unverified', or even looked for the
sources that I've found - you've deleted it again and again, and
reconstructed the entry as your own.

It *is* possible to mark something as unverified, and therefore
potentially untrustworthy without deleting it.  In fact, in a niche
subject on which there has been very little main stream analysis, I
would say that this is your responsibility, otherwise you are
actually impeding the aggregation of knowledge on that subject.

In a larger entry, where there is more attention, there's a more
efficient information market at work.  An entry like this is a very
*inefficient* market, where even those actively involved in the
community are unaware of what's going on, and so needs to be handled
more sensitively to avoid undue influence from any one party.

You say that 'Great things are already happening' as a result of this
discussion.  This is in spite of - not because of - your efforts.
It's 1.30am. I am ill, and I have wasted my entire evening
reinstating what I consider valuable from previous versions (only
those from the last week, - never mind what must have been lost in
the past) and finding Mainstream Media sources for much of the
content that you've previously deleted.  I dug up these sources
solely in order to try and bolster our argument that you should not
delete this useful information.  I shouldn't have had to do this.  It
upsets me that I have.

How much easier would it have been if you had just gone out to find
those sources and put them in, rather than making me have to replace
and rewrite the whole piece before putting them in for you.  How much
more valuable would the entry be if it had not lost the nuances of
discussion gathered along the way - and had not lost the support of
those who felt dispirited by your actions?

The irony is that the MSM articles I've quoted as sources to appease
you, although they were in reputable journals, were mostly
entertainment/tech puff pieces.  Whenever I read this kind of
material in daily newspapers about subjects I know intimately (like
videoblogging), I'm invariably struck by how they fail to fully grasp
the subject.  They're taking an amateur snapshot and giving it a spin
- and even if well-intentioned, it does not get the level of rigour
demanded from news journalists, or those who specialize in a field,
which presumably is what the Wikipedia Rules uphold as the highest
level of verifiability.

If you'd ever been in a job where you'd had feature journalists
calling up and asking you to do their job for them by telling them
everything you know about a subject so that they can write it down,
funk it up a little and give it to their editor, you'd probably have
a little more perspective on what's a verifiable source.  I would say
that on an average day, I read more bullshit in the paper than I do
online.

I know you'll come back and cite the Wikipedia Rules.  I don't care.
As always, it's *how* you apply the rules that matters.  Rules can be
over-extended, corrupted and abused to serve particular personal
interests, and must be applied judiciously.  What you have been doing
has been perceived as selfish and destructive, masquerading as a
service to the community and as adherence to the rulebook - in short,
the behaviour of a mean-spirited civil servant.

Now I'm very tired, and I'm going to bed before I say something I'll
regret.  All I'll say is, That's how it's been seen here, and I hope
that that's enough to make you step back for a moment to consider
things.

Please give the article a chance to breathe, and do not delete
anything more until we have had a good long chance to review it among
ourselves.  If you have issues with it, leave HTML comments in the
text and notes on the discussion board.  We will attempt to meet your
concerns - I will certainly give them due attention and reply.  Then,
when you've given it some time, perhaps you can find two
authoritative Wikipedia editors to help you assess what needs to be
corrected according to the rules.

Thanks,

Rupert
http://twittervlog.blogspot.com/