It's not my focus right now to argue and support the thesis that
definitions are necessary to be effective.  The one piece of
information I can readily provide is on Dave Winer and the wikipedia
definition of Podcasting.  When Adam Curry anonymously deleted
information, Dave Winer came out in front criticizing it:

http://www.scripting.com/2005/06/11.html#peopleWithErasers

This was picked up by other blogs and online news sites:

http://tinyurl.com/27tzc8
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-5980758-7.html
http://tinyurl.com/2tb46o

  -- Enric