Heath, try this:
http://www.ipod-video-converter.org/

Free iPod Video Converter. It exports WMV, MPEG and AVI files into
iPod-compatible format, at least in theory. I installed it on my
Windows machine and used it to convert a WMV, but I did not try
putting the resulting file on my iPod. But I posted the file here if
someone wants to try it out and let us know whether it played on an iPod:
http://vlogademianervosa.blogspot.com/2007/05/free-video-converter.html

I guess I don't need to know badly enough - I posted it for my
students to experiment with.

If anyone tests the file, please let us know.

Cheryl